Chitkara Educational Trust established its first campus in Punjab in the year 2002 under the name of CIET. The campus is spread over 50 acres located 30 kilometers from Chandigarh on the Chandigarh-Patiala National Highway NH-64 The campus is equidistant from Mohali,Ambala Panchkula and Patiala. Chitkara University, Punjab is a government-recognized university with the right to confer degrees as per the Sections 2(f) and 22(1) of the UGC Act, 1956. In 2010 Chitkara University was documented by the Punjab State Legislature under the “The Chitkara University Act”. The campus has more than 5000 full-time students and over 250 tenured faculty.